Frequently Asked Questions about eChecks
eChecksPro is the first check-based service that allows businesses to create and send payments to anyone from anywhere via the Internet. They’re fast, easy, cost-effective and secure. And they don’t require additional software or investments in new technology for either the sender or the recipient. eChecksPro gives businesses added flexibility and more control over their cash management — a smart complement to traditional paper checks!
eChecksPro is designed for any business or person with a checking account who wants to improve cash management by reducing costs and streamlining the processes associated with sending and receiving checks.
eChecksPro enables electronic payment by check.
- Unlike ACH and direct deposit options, eChecksPro doesn’t require a merchant account, specialized equipment, or payee banking information.
- eChecksPro are less expensive than credit cards (which can include fees of up to 4 1/2 percent per transaction), and wire transfers (which generally costs $25 per transaction).
- Electronic payment options such as PayPal are conducted across privately-operated networks which require payees to join the network. They also typically charge an interchange fee. eChecksPro are sent via the Internet.
While the trend is to use digital payments, businesses continue to issue 13.1 billion paper checks each year because they provide critical capabilities not normally available with electronic payment systems. With eChecksPro, these capabilities are finally available:
- Send a payment with attached remittance information
- Provide payment without the banking information of the payee
- Issue payments to parties without bank accounts
- Separation of duties: one person can create the checks and another can approve them
- Increased security and fraud prevention
There are several valuable differences:
- eChecksPro provide remittance information, and bank issued checks do not
- eChecksPro only require an email address and no payee account information
- You are in control of sending the check
- There may be additional processing time and/or rush fees associated with using a bank service
Currently there is no other product like eChecksPro. eChecksPro is assuming a leadership stance, delivering a unique industry-changing product to the marketplace. Other products that refer to themselves as “eChecks” typically are not – instead they are usually one-time ACH/EFTr. eChecksPro, on the other hand, allows you to send any number of checks quickly and seamlessly through the Internet, anytime you want, without having to make a special request or pay additional fees.
eChecks arrive via email with a special code so that the recipient can retrieve the check. The recipient simply prints the check and deposits it in the same way they deposit traditional checks. If recipients are also users of the service and bank with a participating financial institution, they can deposit the check directly into their account.
Once you have opened your eChecksPro account:
- Select “Checking Accounts” then pick the applicable Checking Account from the dropdown. Use the Single Check tab for sending individual payments or use the check Run tab to send multiple checks.
- You can then fill out the check. Add an email address and select the “Create and Sign” button … an email notification will be sent to the check recipient(s).
No, customers purchase a specific number of checks, similar to the method used for traditional checks.
eChecksPro proprietary approach based on patented technology allows companies and banks to help reduce fraud by easily verifying the authenticity of checks. Customers and financial institutions using eChecksPro’s Check Validation service can confirm at any time that an authorized eCheck was created by a user of the system and that the item remains unaltered since creation. This service can assist in catching and stopping fraudulent checks before they enter the banking ecosystem.
The eChecksPro software-as-a-service is deployed using best practices for high availability and security. Thus, for example, data that is “in the cloud” is in physically secured data centers that are regularly reviewed for compliance via SSAE 16 audits.
I forgot to deselect a vendor when I opened the “Issue Checks” dialogue box, how do I find that check?
Log in to your eChecksPro account, select the checking account tab and click the checking account name. From Account History, you will see checks that have been created, click on any one that doesn’t have an email associated and you can either add an email and issue a PDF or you can print and deliver by another method.
I have a vendor who doesn’t have an email address, but I want to issue all my checks using eChecksPro. How do I do it?
Log in to your eChecks account and select the checking account tab and the checking account name. From Account History, you will see what checks have been created, click on any one that doesn’t have an email and you can print and deliver traditionally.
Requirements for running the Add-on for QuickBooks are:
- Windows 8, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed (QuickBooks R4 and later required)
- Windows 7, all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows Vista (SP2 or later), all editions including 64-bit, natively installed
- Windows XP (SP3 or later), all editions including 64-bit
Anyone who has purchased eChecksPro and has a version of QuickBooks that meets the system requirements.
The payment notification email address is established in QuickBooks using the Main Email field in the Vendor/Payee account profile.
I have a Virtual Lockbox but not an eChecksPro plan and want to use the Add-on for QuickBooks; how do I get it?
No. The Add-on is only available if you purchase eChecksPro.
Yes, the Add-on for QuickBooks will not work if QuickBooks is not currently installed on your computer.
Yes. Any computer where you install QuickBooks will also need to have the Add-on for QuickBooks downloaded.
If you purchased eChecksPro checks and don’t see the Add-on for QuickBooks option, please notify techsupport@eChecksPro.com with your email, your user name and a phone number. If you are a Virtual Lockbox user, upgrade to 100 or higher eCheck Plan to get access to the Add-on.
Do you have more than one checking account registered with eChecksPro? If you have multiple checking accounts registered, be sure to select the account with a 100 or higher eCheck Plan from the Checking Account tab then select Settings dropdown, then Add-ons. If you only have one account and it is a 100 Plan or higher and it’s not showing under the Checking Account Settings dropdown please notify techsupport@eChecksPro.com with your email, your user name and a phone number.
In QuickBooks, open the vendor list, select the vendor to “edit”, and add the email to the MAIN email field (page/screen/account).
I don’t have email addresses for all my vendors, but I want to issue some checks via eChecksPro and some by printing from QuickBooks.
When you issue your payments, the QuickBooks Add-on will automatically deselect any vendors that don’t have an email. Unless you manually select those items, they will be available to print from QuickBooks directly.